Positive Visit to the Middle East
Gil and Val’s Middle East itinerary was very full including a visit to Oman followed by a visit to Dubai, principally to attend Middle East Rail.
There were many highlights during their trip to Dubai including:
- A Reception at the British Embassy for the exhibitors at Middle East Rail. It was hosted by the Consul General, Paul Fox and the guest of honour was Claire Perry MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport.
- A strong British presence within the British Pavilion sponsored by UKTI and RIA (the Railway Industry Association) with 30+ companies exhibiting.
Howarth & Co’s activities included:
- Gil speaking in the Network Rail Consulting (NRC) sponsored Infrastructure Theatre: ‘Localisation: Developing a Workforce to Operate & Maintain a 21st Century Railway’.
- Partnering with Terrapinn, organisers of the Middle East Rail, under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Presidential Affairs. The 10th edition of Middle East Rail was held in partnership with the Ministry of Infrastructure Development UAE and the Federal Transport Authority – Land & Maritime. We were asked by Terrapinn to lead the inaugural Career Zone set alongside the main exhibition area.
We would like to thank the following companies and their representatives for their support on the stand:
- UAE Federal Transport Authority
- Etihad Rail
- Network Rail Consulting
The horrendous weather (severe thunder storms and flooding) unfortunately caused universities and schools to be closed which prevented the majority of the university students attending. However, Gil was able to present Howarth & Co’s capability to a large audience and in particular the application of bespoke models to meet the different challenges of workforce development in the Middle East. The conference organisers Terrapinn were delighted with our efforts. This initiative is seen as the start of a major ongoing programme of industry promotion within schools, colleges and universities. Recognising that people are a nation’s greatest asset, we are delighted to have the support of the Federal Transport Authority in moving this localisation programme forward.